brittany photo

1. What was your favorite part of being an ICMA Officer?

I enjoyed the camaraderie of working with the fellow officers (we had a great group of smart, fun people) and planning events.

2. Where are you working now and what are your responsibilities?

I started working at [self-help.org] Self-Help in Durham after graduating from the MPA program as the Development, Policy and Impact Associate. I do a lot of reporting to government and private funders, manage compliance for a couple of government programs we use, and help with some of our fundraising. I also get to work on special projects, such as facilitating a working group that’s exploring ways we can better engage with Historically Black Colleges and Universities (HBCUs) and working on an internal initiative around race and criminal justice issues.

3. What part of your ICMA experience have you applied to your current job?

I’ve been able to use the teamwork and discussion facilitation skills that were honed as an ICMA officer. The experience of leading my peers was really valuable in giving me the confidence to do so in my current job.

4. What advice would you give to current MPA students that you wish someone had told you?

I’d say don’t worry about being prepared for a job. You have more skills and are learning more than you realize.

5. Where do you see yourself in 10 years?

I see myself continuing to do work that provides opportunities and makes communities great for everyone in them.